FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For immediate release
Health Care 4 All PA
Contact: Scott Tyson
Study Proves That Single-Payer Health Care is Best for Pennsylvanians And For the Commonwealth’s Economy
Erie, Pennsylvania February 26, 2013 -- Health Care for All PA, a statewide non-profit organization today released an economic impact study. The results prove that a single-payer health care plan will save families, businesses and tax payers $17 billion annually while at the same time providing comprehensive health care to all.
This study was done by University of Massachusetts – Amherst professor of economics Gerald Friedman, Ph.D. It compares the cost of the current for-profit health insurance model in Pennsylvania whereby provider choice is limited and health services are rationed by health insurance companies to that of a consumer-driven health care system which lets people have the freedom to choose their own doctors, hospitals and health care providers.
Some of the important advantages of a single-payer system are:
· Comprehensive coverage for every resident of Pennsylvania, including dental, vision and mental health services;
· Eliminates the need for hospitals to absorb the cost of care for the uninsured;
· Reduces bureaucracy for private physicians resulting in reduced administrative costs and improved compensation for private physicians;
· Reduces or eliminates health insurance over-costs for small business, allowing for more job creation, greater reinvestment of profits, and reduced workers’ compensation costs.
· Radically reduces the total cost of health care to levels more consistent with costs in the rest of the industrialized world.