Sunday, January 2, 2011

My (Quarter Year of) Blogging in Review

Since I launched this blog at the end of September I've had over 1,100 page views from every continent on Earth. Aside from the United States the countries with the most views are: Canada 48 United Kingdom 42 Russia 23 Netherlands 15 Slovenia 11 Germany 8 Italy 8 Norway 8 Australia 5 Even though it has only been posted since Dec. 17th the post Income and Life Expectancy. What does it Tell Us About US? became easily the most viewed post largely due to it being linked to the page for the BBC programme (British spelling) The Joy of Stats with over 270 views.



A distant second in views is my post titled Why does the right demonize Nancy Pelosi? with 115 views. It is also my most commented post (mostly negative) both on my web page and my facebook page. I guess this one hit a nerve.



My third most viewed post is probably my most personal called Bullying & Society. It details how schoolyard bullying is a symptom of a much larger disease which was much in evidence in the 2010 election.

My fourth most viewed blog is titled What is Sanity? It is my account of the Rally to Restore Sanity and it's context. What was the point of it and what is the sane thing to do? It's also the only post where I make a cameo appearance.


Except for my most viewed post, I've had to drum up traffic through updating posts and promoting them mostly via Facebook and Twitter.

A summary statistic can make a general statement about the data but can never tell you the whole story. That is why it is important to look at it from as many angles as possible.








**Update**

This is slightly unrelated to this post but its within the spirit. The Atlantic Monthly has a good graphic on how the US has changed since the Great Recession began in 2008. Some trends are surprising others are not. It's too big and detailed to repost here but it can be read at:

How the Recession Changed US